Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls, do we need much more in life than good Mexican food like so? Here you get everything you’d find in a burrito sans tortilla and with nutritious quinoa instead of rice! It’s brimming with goodness and incredible flavor!
Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
I’ve always craving Mexican, and I’ll never get sick of it. I just love the flavors of the classic Mexican herbs and spices (the wide range of dried chilies and chili powders, cumin, cilantro, Mexican oregano), and they are a go-to at my house.
Plus, I love all the fresh salsas and veggies that are found in Mexican food. And I could live on fresh flour tortillas. But that’s for another day. Because these chicken quinoa bowls are all about keeping it healthy.
These protein-packed chicken burrito bowls are brimming with so much delicious fresh flavor, and it’s a recipe the whole family will love!
Want to see how to make burrito bowls? Watch the video!
Chicken Burrito Bowl Ingredients
For the quinoa and chicken burrito bowl, you’ll need:
- Chicken broth
- Spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder)
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Frozen corn
- Black beans
- Shredded cheese
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
And for the avocado salsa, you’ll need:
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
How to Make Burrito Bowls
- Cook the quinoa.
- Preheat grill. Season and grill the chicken. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- Make avocado salsa while the chicken is resting.
- Divide quinoa among 5 serving bowls. Top with chicken, corn, black beans, cheese, avocado salsa and Greek yogurt.
Can I Prep These Burrito Bowls in Advance?
Everything but the avocado salsa can be prepped in advance. These chicken quinoa protein bowls are easily meal prepped and keep for a few days if stored in an airtight container.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs for This Recipe?
Of course! Just note that the grilling time may be different than what the recipe states.
Tips for the Best Burrito Bowl
- Substitute quinoa with brown rice or cauliflower rice if desired.
- To pick good avocados, they should be fairly firm and not mushy. They should also be free of bruises or marks.
- Try these chicken burrito bowls with grilled corn too!
More Mexican Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chicken Street Tacos
- Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Taco Lettuce Wraps (made with Ground Turkey)
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Chimichangas
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Cilantro Lime Ranch
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls with Avocado Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa*
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups frozen corn , warmed (optional)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, warmed along with liquid from the can then drained (optional)
- Mexican blend cheese or queso fresco (optional)
- Plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan stir together quinoa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill (or indoor grill, panini press, or cook over the stove in a grill pan) to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl whisk together ancho chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pound chicken breasts to even out their thickness using the flat side of meat mallet. Brush both sides with the 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil then season both sides of chicken with the chili powder mixture (use all of it). Grill chicken until center registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side (or about 4 minutes total if using an indoor electric grill or panini press set at high heat or sear). Transfer chicken to a plate, cover and let rest 5 minutes then cut into pieces, season with more salt to taste if desired.
- While the chicken is resting, prepare avocado salsa. In a medium mixing bowl gently toss together tomatoes, avocados, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble burrito bowls, divide quinoa among serving bowls. Top with chicken, corn, black beans, cheese, avocado salsa and Greek yogurt. Serve immediately.