Is there a better summer meal than BBQ chicken, grilled corn on the cob and a side of freshly made coleslaw? Also not pictured, I served this up with loaded baked potatoes, because you can’t have too many veggies, right? This is definitely one of my favorite summer meals!
This time around I was so excited to try these grilled chicken skewers made with a new product that just recently hit the shelves at Walmart, KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub. I love things spicy so I made my version to have a good kick to it with the delicious honey chipotle combination. It goes so perfectly with grilled chicken with it’s blend of sweet, spicy and a little bit smoky, and it most definitely let me craving more.
I love how versatile these mixes are! They come in three varieties, there is Original, Honey and Habanero and then with each version you just add a liquid of choice such as fruit juice, soda, water or bourbon. I’ve already tried two varieties because I loved the first so much (I tried the Honey and the Original. With the original I actually just tried it with water and a little apple cider vinegar and it was so tasty)! I also loved how easy it was to make and that I was able to give it my own personal spin.
My whole family agreed we loved this BBQ sauce and we will be eating it again and again this summer spread over chicken, pork and beef (I also can’t wait to try it in pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches)! This sauce is true to the saying, “secret’s in the sauce”. This stuff is finger-licking good and it’s destined to be a crowd pleaser!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Honey Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers
- 3/4 cup apple juice , divided
- 1 - 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (2 is very spicy!)
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 (2 oz) pouch KC Masterpiece® Sweet Honey BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub
- For the sauce:
- To a food processor add 1/4 cup apple juice and chipotle peppers. Pulse until peppers are pureed. Pour mixture into a small mixing bow. Add remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, honey, ancho chili powder and BBQ Sauce Mix. Whisk until well blended, set aside.
- For the chicken:
- If using wooden skewer sticks, soak in water for at least 30 minutes (I was able to fill 7 of the shorter sticks). Preheat a grill over medium heat to about 375 degrees. Thread chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used up, folding chicken pieces as needed so they hold well onto skewer. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Brush grill grates lightly with oil then place skewers on grill and grill about 4 - 5 minutes per side until nearly cooked through, then brush both sides with half of the sauce and grill about 1 - 2 minutes more per side until cooked through and outsides are nicely browned in spots. Brush with remaining sauce. Serve warm.